March 26, 2007

When Will Fundies Start Boycotting The Simpsons?

I normally blink and miss the couch scenes at the beginning of each Simpsons episode. For some reason, I turned my head from my computer and saw the one from last night.
I wonder if their pro-evolution attitude is starting to piss off the Religious Right.
Last year they did a Scopes trial spoof, called the Monkey Suit (see bottom of this post). To think, Fundy children might be watching these episodes, and then they may ask their parents some tough questions. Fundies can't like these confrontations because it forces them to lie (yeah, deep down, most Fundies know they are lying, it is part of their mental illness). Anyway, this is the most educational Simpsons piece ever. It is the longest couch scene as well, as it runs over one minute:

They really did their homework for the scene.

The Simpsons represent the ideal Christian nuclear family. Neither Homer or Marge came into the marriage from another marriage, and other than the one episode, (The Computer Wore Menace Shoes), when Homer was replaced at home by a double and it was implied that Marg was getting German shlong, there has been no known adultery. They also attend church regularly.
Still the recent acceptance of Marge's gay sister and the evolution episode may just be too much for Fundy parents to handle.

The jury is out about whether Matt Groening, the shows creator, is an Agnostic or Atheist. He says he is Agnostic probably because he knows he would lose a huge percentage of his audience if he admitted to Atheism.
From Celebatheists:

Matt Groening -- the executive producer of "The Simpsons," who pokes a lot of fun at religion -- was asked by The New York Times whether he believed in God and what he considers the most comical story in the Bible.

Said Groening: "I was very disturbed when Jesus found a demon in a guy, and he put the demon in a herd of pigs, then sent them off a cliff. What did the pigs do? I could never figure that out. It just seemed very un-Christian. Technically, I'm an agnostic, but I definitely believe in hell -- especially after watching the fall TV schedule."


Now, if you have another 5 minutes and want to laugh out loud, here is a 5 minute compilation of Family Guy poking fun at religion:


See also, The Simpsons and Family Guy Take On Creation and Evolution for the Monkey Suit video.

16 comments:

  1. That couch scene was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, are the Simpsons funny again?

    I've known that the writers are a bunch of smart dudes, ever since the beginning, but have found the Simpson's style since about season 8-10 to be less witty.

    I've been reading up on evolution recently and that video was pretty accurate (except maybe the dinosaur->mammal transformation).

    Did the episode live up to the couch intro?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The jury is out about whether Matt Groening, the shows creator, is an Agnostic or Atheist. He says he is Agnostic probably because he knows he would lose a huge percentage of his audience if he admitted to Atheism."

    I think you should cut him more slack: he obviously doesn't give a damn who he offends. Did you see the one where Flanders tries to get evolution banned from school?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johnny, that wasn't a dinosaur-mammal transformation but a reptile-mammal transformation. And according to what is known at this time, it is accurate.
    The show is edgier the last two years thanks to the keeping up with the Griffins.

    Gert, I'm not an anti-agnostite, so I wasn't meaning to say I would think less of him if he wasn't an Atheist.

    I posted that episode here, and I referred to it in this post (The Monkey Suit)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just checking Technorati and by coincidence 666 blogs linked to your site. Made me smile.

    I like the way that The Simpsons (and others) sneak in attacks at the dogma.

    My Blog: In Defence of Reason

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAJ:

    No, no, I didn't think you're "anti-agnostite" (LOL).

    But I don't think Groening moderates his stance for the ratings either. These are great guys who in a very funny way expose the fundies for what they are. The evolution episode had my 12 year old ROFLOL...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt Groening is great. I've always been a fan of the Simpsons. It is clever, witty AND topical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been surprised that the Family Guy (& the Simpsons) have barely had a peep raised against them. I recall there's some xtian advisory boards that tell the parents about what to allow their kids to watch. The fact that they're cartoons might have something to do w/it.
    I have a dear, close friend who's a fundie YEC'er. We don't talk much about religion. It usually gets pretty heated.
    Strangely, he LOVES Family Guy. Says he knows it's blasphemous, but doesn't care.
    He seems like a reasonable, rational person, but somehow religion has managed to solder specific parts of his brain into mulch, & yet he's a functional part of society.
    Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Humour is the best weapon against irrationally held beliefs. If people don't use reason to get their beliefs, how could reason get rid of them?

    Also, no 'h' in Jonny please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff!, I'll have to check out the simpsons again. The Family Guy stuff is funny as hell!

    Humor makes a good point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ed, the 666 is pretty funny, I noticed it too. But the number changes a lot.

    KA, I think Christians laugh at their beliefs more than we give them credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny video.
    Though I am not sure how ideal a family the Simpsons are; after all, they got married because Marge was pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think, I think I have seen your friend Rickey walking the opposite direction…is that right?
    Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved The Simpson's opening and couldn't help but think that Matt, and his crew had something to say. It's not necessary atheist, but it is anti-creationism. In any case, they're preaching to the right audience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Simpsons has always ridiculed and belittled creationism, fundamentalism and religion in general. IT's creator, runs "holiday" specials from time to time and the Halloween shows are chock full of religious-oriented riducule. I think it's a brilliant way to slam religion & fundamentalism and do so while providing entertainment. The educational value of this latest clip is an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BEAJ:
    KA, I think Christians laugh at their beliefs more than we give them credit for.
    Unless instructed to do otherwise by Faux News.

    ReplyDelete