September 4, 2006

Steve Irwin, Rest In Peace

This is why the Crocodile Hunter was hard not to like:

As I've stated here before, my dog Daisy loves watchng Animal Planet, and up until very recently, Crocodile Hunter was on almost daily. Daisy knows the Crocodile Hunter as Stevo. If I say "Stevo is on," she will go to the TV and watch him.

He knew the risks he was taking, and often made fun of those risks:


Stingrays don't usually attack unless provoked, as with most animals that were featured on the Crocodile Hunter. His provoking of animals was often parodied:

He had a reputation of putting his life at risk by going out of his way to agitate dangerous animals. But that is what made him. That is what gave him fame, which he altruistically parlayed into animal conservations and animal awareness.

44 is far too young to perish. But he accomplished much more than hundreds of internet warriors like me will most likely accomplish in our entire full natural lifetimes.

A couple of months ago Harriet, Darwin's famous tortoise, died at Steve Irwin's Queensland Zoo. She was 176.

Don't forget to click the Animal Rescue button on my sidebar. It doesn't cost you anything, and with each click of the button it leads to will feed .6 cans of food to a rescued animal.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so bummed. I hate to see an animal lover die so young. :(

    That was a nice tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great...now I'm laughing and crying at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids were pretty upset about his death, they really liked him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very fun and interesting guy and a great shame he's gone. Sympathy for his family & friends.

    BEAJ, totally unrelated, but I'd like to get your opinion on this and see if I can get you to join in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. CD, I think you should make specific links the the terms that every blogger who wishes to participate is to us.

    The first one is easy: Islam.

    And here is my first idea for intelligent design.

    ReplyDelete