February 1, 2011

Turning 50: So Far So Good

I turned the big 5-0 last Tuesday. It is almost unfathomable to me that I'm fifty. My favorite TV shows are Family Guy, American Dad, Two and a Half Men, and Dexter. I watch and enjoy The Simpsons at least 5 times a week too. I can't possibly be 50, yet I am.

Maybe the fact I am half of a DINK couple (double income no kids) has helped allow my mental age to stay around 25ish. There is probably some truth to that.

My main concern now is to avoid insomnia and the mortality thoughts that go with it.
Those thoughts about how time started, the rationale that I'm not immortal, and will die some day, and with that my brain and self awareness will die too. The same state I was in for at least 13.9 billion years before my parents did the nasty some time in April of 1960.

Those seem to come in spurts. I remember these thoughts preoccupying my nights when I was in my teens, early 30's, and I have a feeling as I come closer to the inevitable, soon again.

The good thing is we have the internet and lots of TV to choose from at 3 AM these days. I think that is great way to stop with the wasteful obsession of thinking about mortality. Why worry about it?

Like religion, you have plenty of time for that and worrying about mortality when you are dead.

Back to my age. 50 is just 50 times around the sun. It doesn't sound so bad when I put it that way.