August 31, 2006

I Knew I'd Eventually Get Tagged For The Book Meme


Recovering Ortho Jew has tagged me to do a Book Meme.

I was sort of hoping to avoid this Meme, but it was inevitable to get tagged as I've seen many blogs on my blogroll do book meme posts. I am not much of a fiction reader. And the truth is that I am a slow deliberate reader. Sure, I can "read" a book quickly, but it is a lie to say that I retained much of anything if I try this approach. And I have a sneaking suspicion that those of you who think you can read a 250-300 page book in a night, haven't really read the book. It is impossible to read a book properly at a rate of more than 10 pages per hour.

Most of the non fiction books I've read were in high school. I enjoyed reading in high school, and the focus on existentialism that my school had in their English department definitely had an impact on my transformation from someone who assumed there was a God, to me becoming Agnostic, to finally becoming Atheist.

Don't get me wrong, I read tons now. Most (all) of the books I read though are non fiction texts though. And of course I must read 30 to 40 blog posts a day and 30 to 40 newspaper/science/sports articles a day.

Now for the Meme:

A book that changed my life?:
Who Has Seen The Wind by W O Mitchell; all about life and death, I found it thought provoking at the time and it made me become introspective of my own life, and the mortality of everything from amoebas to humans.

A book I’ve read more than once:
Tough one. Does Winning At The Races by William Quirin count?

A book I would take with me if I were stuck on a desert island:
Here is where I get practical. Robinson Crusoe. I figure it would give me an idea of how to cope. I'd also consider a book on how to make a boat.

A book that made me laugh:
Horton Hears A Who by Theodor Geisel.

A book that made me cry:
I don't know about crying. I admit I've come close though, especially while watching some feel good movies. I think there were parts of Johnny Tremain that made me come close, but I was pretty young back then.

A book that I wish had been written:
The Harry Potter series. I haven't read them, but it made the author filthy rich.

A book I wish had never been written:
The Koran, or Qu'ran, or whatever you call it. Too many people have some ugly interpretations when it comes to what it says.

I'm currently reading:
Outside of Now You Know, by Doug Lennox(the red version and the blue version), books about trivial facts, I am not reading any book right now. Especially non fiction.

A book I've been meaning to read:
The End of Faith by Sam Harris. I came close to buying the Jesus Mysteries, but I found out enough on the internet to satisfy my curiosity.

What turned me onto fiction?
Other than being forced to read fiction in school, absolutely nothing.

Now it is time to tag 5 bloggers. I will focus on tagging females. One, their gender seems to like reading fiction, and secondly, they seem to like to talk about themselves, generally speaking of course:)

Atheist Girl, Begin Each Day As If It Were On Purpose, Lemons and Lollipops, Memoirs Of A Gouda, and Beep Beep It's Me.

Actually this group of chicks I'm tagging has a lot of smarts, so I expect their responses to be quite impressive.

19 comments:

  1. Thank ya for the tag! I posted mine on my site. :) Kind of appropriate too since I was just writing earlier today about how I get to meet Stephen King in November! Yay!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Thanks for the link. :)
    Now what am I supposed to do? (Guzzles coffee and tries to wake up..)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beep Beep, just answer the questions that I answered....you know the ones in bold lettering. You are then supposed to post it on your blog, and then you are supposed to tag 5 more people.

    If you don't, you will start believing in God within the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it interesting that you had wished the Koran had never been written, a result of over or misinterpretation. I think one could easily say the same about the Bible. As one who lives in the good ol' Bible belt, I can tell you there are plenty of things misinterpreted in that lovely tome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got tagged for the same exact Q/A about a month ago. You'll be happy to know that we had the exact same answer for "What book do you wish never had been written".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! Thanks -- I will do this on the weekend. It has already got me thinking about books that have moved me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RE atheist jew:
    Ok, no worries, sounds like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did it a few hours ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Jesus Mysteries is a great read. Way better than Dan Brown et al.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Thor, or should I say anti-Christ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tag dahling...
    All Done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, do read Sam's End of Faith - you will really enjoy it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A book that changed my life was The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I identified quite a bit with the main character Holden Caulfield even though I was about 28 when I first read it. I wanted to name my son Holden except Holden is a name of a very popular car where I live and people would get confused.
    The weird thing though is that Holden Caulfield, a fictional character, destroyed my ability to enjoy reading fiction. Holden had great contempt for actors who he saw as just liars. When you watch a movie or TV the people on it are generally just bull shitting you. Happiness, sadness, whatever is just a put on. They are phonies. Then I realized fictional characters are just phonies too. Now when people recommend I read fiction I just think it is all phonie nonsense. Why, the writer just sat down and made shit up – his characters can do anything, be anything – who cares, don’t waste your time with fictional rubbish.
    Ironic though that a fictional character opened my eyes to the phoniness of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AA, you haven't been around for a while. Good to see you back.

    Didn't John Lennon's murderer identify with Holden too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes he did, according to Wikipedia, “As Chapman's life deteriorated, he began to resent his former hero (John Lennon), condemning him as a "phony" (Holden Caulfield's favorite insult).”
    Although I guess Catcher is famous because of its powerful portrayal of teenage nuttiness and many people identify with that.
    I regularly drop by to read the posts and comments although haven’t commented for a while. I wonder what the proportion of readers compared to those who comment is. Some bloggers may become disheartened if there are few comments yet there may be thousands of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AA, I have around 200-300 different readers a day on average these days if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think a similar meme but with movies would be popular. Books can be a bit highbrow and who has time to read such nonsense nowadays?

    ReplyDelete