October 23, 2011

Herman Cain and Why The GOP Makes Me Sick

Earlier this week Herman Cain was on the Piers Morgan Show on CNN. Piers asked him a question regarding rape and incest pregnancies and what should happen (who should make the decision on abortion is how Cain supposedly interpreted it):

"No, it comes down to is, it’s not the government’s role — or anybody else’s role — to make that decision. Secondly, if you look at the statistical incidents, you’re not talking about that big a number. So what I’m saying is, it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make. Not me as president. Not some politician. Not a bureaucrat. It gets down to that family. And whatever they decide, they decide. I shouldn’t try to tell them what decision to make for such a sensitive decision."

When asked if abortion issues should become a directive to the nation?:

"No, they don’t. I can have an opinion on an issue without it being a directive on the nation. The government shouldn’t be trying to tell people everything to do, especially when it comes to a social decision that they need to make."

So Cain seems to respect separation of church and state, and he is also pro-choice though he has stated on numerous times he is anti-abortion personally (this is not a big problem, as many people who are pro-choice would either never consider abortion themselves or would only consider it under extreme circumstances...I believe I am that way too).

He was consistent recently when it came to gay marriage:

“I wouldn’t seek a constitutional ban for same-sex marriage, but I am pro-traditional marriage.”

Cain still believes homosexuality is a choice, which of course means that heterosexuality is a choice too by default. Why can't or won't Cain read a few studies. Almost all scientific literature points to homosexuality being formed in the uterus. How come fetus experts like Cain won't go there?

I watched the interview, and I knew that Cain would be in trouble with the nearly insignificant and mostly marginalized Religious Right. So now Cain has backtracked completely.

Yesterday, Cain kissed Religious Right ass in Iowa:

“In terms of preventing abortion on demand, I would not sign any legislation for government-funded abortion.

I would not sign any legislation that in any way allowed the government to be involved in it,” he said. “I would strengthen all of our current laws that prevent abortion. I believe that abortion should be clearly stated and illegal across this country and I would work to defund Planned Parenthood.”

Cain had a shot to be a mainstream candidate, but has now thrown it out the door to try to appease anti-science Religious bigots. Pathetic. But this is why the GOP is the anti-science Party as well.

Cain is now unelectable. Kissing Religious Right Butt will do that to a politician who wants to go national. That is a great thing.